Few technologies played as vital a role in World War II as radar. From its famous early days as giant girdered masts dotting the eastern coastline of Great Britain, relaying information on inbound German aircraft, to tiny antennae on fighters seeking out bombers in the dead of night, it proved itself among the supreme innovations of the period. So much so that designers, friend and foe alike, spent endless hours trying to perfect and utilize this invention. All realized a sudden breakthrough carried with it hopes of altering the outcome of battles, and quite possibly the war itself. Therefore it wasn’t surprising that any hint of advancement always received careful attention from an opponent committed either to destroying it, or more likely, stealing it for himself.
Take the case of Germany and Great Britain. Both nations seemed to maintain parity in radar development during the early war years, until one day in late 1941, when a British reconnaissance aircraft flying over the coast of France returned with photographs showing a peculiar dish shaped installation adjacent to a Chateau overlooking the cliffs. It was similar to others seen in prior months, and situated itself near the town of Bruneval. To intelligence analysts there was little doubt that this was the new radar design known as ‘Wurzburg,’ a name decrypted from intercepts and possessing unknown capabilities.
or Log In