Picture this…You’ve put the kids to bed for the evening and after locking the front door and turning all the lights off you yourself go to bed. You are then awakened several hours later by a strange noise coming from downstairs. It sounds as if someone broke a window and are now attempting to breach the front door.
Taking a step back, what have you done to prepare for a possible home invasion in the middle of the night? What do you have at arm’s reach that will give you a leg up in this situation, an advantage over the scumbag breaking into your home.
Let’s take a look at the nightstand. Is your nightstand piled with magazines, some books, box of Kleenex, and a myriad of other items? Your nightstand can be your first line of defense in a home invasion, if you have prepared ahead of time and have the tools available at arm’s reach. I’m going to show you how my nightstand is set up to give my family a fighting chance against a home invasion. Typically the top of my nightstand contains my EDC items once I unload my pockets prior to going to bed.
Top of Nightstand:
- Comms – iPhone 5s
- Flashlight – Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA
- Spare Vehicle Fob w/panic button
- Knife – Emerson Journeyman
- Luci Lux light
Inside the nightstand drawer: These items NEVER leave the drawer.
- Flashlight – SOG Dark Energy
- Non-Lethal Option – Wasp Spray (poor man’s mace)
- Glock 17 with a full magazine loaded and ready (round in the chamber)
- Sentinel Gear Mk3 Fixed Blade
- Medical – Having a medical kit on hand is a must, especially if you have a family. Depending on how sideways the situation goes you may need to render aid to a family member until first responders arrive.
Quick tip: If you have a spare car key fob with a panic button, keep that on your nightstand as well. This makes a great improvised alarm that just may be enough to scare off the intruder.
Order your copy of the new 100 Deadly Skills Survival Edition.
This article was originally published on the Loadout Room and was written by
We thought this story would be interesting for you, for full access to premium original stories written by our all veteran journalists subscribe here .