Thermal underwear is specially created to keep you warm and comfy when outside the temperatures drop below zero. It is also designed to get rid of humidity (usually sweat) so your skin remains at a comfortable temperature regardless of the type of effort you are doing. However, not all producers are true to their word and finding the best thermal underwear may prove to be a bit of a hassle. Still, it is worth the effort of finding the best shirt or leggings (or both) when you know you’ll be outside for prolonged periods of time.
Now, if you don’t know how this works and why you need it, let’s go through the process (shortly). First of all, this type of underwear will keep the moisture away from your skin. It does so by absorbing and directing the moisture towards the upper layers of the fabric. Also, it constantly lets the air inside so your body will always remain dry and fresh.
The benefits of thermal underwear:
- Less worry when outside and weather conditions are not as perfect as expected.
- If you like to participate in outdoor sports, your thermal underwear will provide you with comfort and warmth.
- If you are one of those people whose hands are always cold due to slow blood circulation, thermal underwear might help you out significantly.
In order to choose the right thermal underwear, you might want to know a little bit more about the features and the design itself.
Features to Consider when making a purchase
Knowing the materials and fabrics of the thermal underwear you plan to buy is very important simply because different fabrics and materials serve different purposes. For example:
- Polypropylene is awesome if you are into any kind of water sports. However, the downside is that it will not keep you warm.
- Natural materials will keep you warm and take the moisture out of your body but they are expensive in most of the cases.
- Synthetic materials will keep you warm and take the moisture out of your body, and there is no downside because it will provide you with everything just as natural materials do, but the price is acceptable.
Now, when you go through stores (online or otherwise) you will find certain specific terms that may throw you off course. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Here are some of the most used terms that you should know:
- When they say the underwear is ‘breathing’: it means that the producer used high-performance fabrics which are very soft, comfortable, moisture-resistant and breathable at the same time
- Energy Efficient: thermal underwear usually does not require a drying machine or drying for a long time at all. This is perfect because drying can be a real pain in the wilderness.
- Needs Maintaining: Avoid using softeners and bleachers.
Important factors to know about thermal underwear
First of all, you should know that there is underwear designed for women and men and the differences are usually in the sewing and structure. Second, you should always know the location of where you would use it as there are three basic types of underwear:
- The first type will keep you warm and it will not allow your body to freeze regardless of conditions.
- The second type is super breathable, that means it is awesome for sports and outdoor activities which cause a lot of sweating.
- The third type will maintain the body temperature and will provide you with moisture regulation.
Another important factor to consider before ordering new underwear for winter is the size. While it is the first contact layer with your body, it shouldn’t be too tight or too loose. The size must be perfect to allow you to move freely. Also, try to avoid thick materials as they are known to be uncomfortable after a while.
Also, you should consider if you want separate shirt and leggings or you want one piece for the entire body. This depends on the type of activity you will perform. For instance, if you go skiing, the best recommendation is to go with the one piece design.
A few great Product Reviews
Ekouaer Women’s Long Thermal Underwear Fleece Set
This product, designed for women, is very comfortable. Made mostly out of natural materials, it will keep you warm in cold weather conditions. You can buy it in three colors – white, black and gray and it is highly recommended for camping and outdoor activities.
Smartwool Men’s NTS MID 250 Crew Top Black T-Shirt MD
If you are a man who has cold extremities and slightly lower temperature, this thermal underwear might do the job perfectly. Made out of natural materials, the product is amazing in cold winter months, creating a great amount of warmth and keeping you warm even in the coldest weather conditions. It has two layers of fabric and interlocked knit fabrication.
This product comes in 10 different colors and several different sizes.
Patagonia Capilene Mid-Weight Crew-Men’s
This product is made out of polyester which is perfect to wear as a base layer. Patagonia is also an eco-company that obtains the polyester out of plastic soda bottles to save the environment. So you’ll be getting warm and giving Mother Nature a hand!
The product is designed with high-quality material which is durable and comfortable to wear. It is also available in 6 different colors and different sizes.
A few final words…
Whether you are buying your first or second piece of thermal underwear, you will surely know what you need after reading this article. However, do not rush with your decisions! Take the time to actually check out some of the products and pick the right one for your needs.
If you enjoyed this article, please consider supporting our Veteran Editorial by becoming a SOFREP subscriber. Click here to join SOFREP now for just $0.50/week.