STUDY: Local apprehension, this individual has a known criminal history and previous weapon charges. Seen here is his “carry setup”. What looked to be a homemade off-centerline sheath for a slide button type construction/utility razor blade (later determined to be a well used utility knife carrier). The knife had a lanyard attached to the handle with keys on it which hung just below his untucked shirt to facilitate rapid access when grabbed and pulled. This was a well thought out, concealed, quick access setup. Considerations:
- Criminals study, train and practice. This is a well known fact based upon observation of criminals in and out of prisons.
- This setup, off-centerline, follows current training industry trends for edged weapon carry and access.
- If engaged with someone with this setup at an “within arms reach” confrontation how would your current skills stand up? Are you prepared to deal with a criminal who’s gone to these lengths to facilitate rapid weapon access and presentation?
- Does your standing grappling/clinch game and hand fighting address a counter weapon paradigm?
- Nothing fancy about these tools: homemade sheath and $10 box cutter type utility knife that can be thrown away or replaced easily. If there’s a will there’s a way and no amount of legislation can stop this.
- We live in a weapons based environment, never assume ANY confrontation to be weaponless. It is a necessity however to be as aware, willing and prepared as possible to deal with it.
Read more Like This – MDTS Blog
(featured image courtesy of MDTS Facebook Page)