Typically I shy away from backpacks covered in MOLLE and paracord. They scream tactical, military and give an overall perception to others that the bag contains something along those lines. I’m not sure that I would carry this pack around town in an urban environment because of that. I would recommend this pack for use as a go bag, day pack for hiking or a military patrol pack.
The Dragon Egg backpack from Direct Action is a well designed EDC backpack. Actually, I have the bag loaded out as a go bag which you can see in my go bag article. It’s a smaller pack (25L capacity) which make it ideal to be used as a go bag or even daily EDC bag if you choose to do so.
It does not use the traditional MOLLE webbing but instead uses a laser cut modular system that is compatible with MOLLE/PALS pouches and gear. The laser cut system is a little more low key than the traditional MOLLE webbing which helps cut down on the tactical/military profile of the pack.
The drag handle on the pack is entirely made from paracord. This obviously makes for a very robust drag handle, but if I had a choice, I would prefer to have a standard drag handle.
The one feature I do really like about the pack are the water bottle pouches. They are large enough to securely fit a 32 ounce Nalgene water bottle and have some elasticity to them to provide that snug and secure fit. When they are not being used for a water bottle they completely collapse and remain out of the way until needed.
Features courtesy of the Direct Action website:
- Laser-cut slits MOLLE/PALS system
- Heavy duty two-way YKK® zippers
- Main compartment features an internal mesh and a hydration pocket
- Two additional zippered external pockets
- Redesigned side pockets that are equipped with elastic to expand
- Additional zippered back compartment for hydration bladder or the padded sleeve can be used for carrying up to a laptop(max size 9.5×15)
- Paracord drag handle (contains of two 2.5m cords)
- Additional side handles
- Quick release shoulder straps
- D-Ring attachment points
- Side and bottom retention straps with buckles
- Daisy chain webbing for attaching extra gear/carabiners
- Velcro panel (4 x 2in) for ID patches
- Made of 500D Cordura® fabric
- All clips and buckles are made by Duraflex®/WooJin
- PenCott™, Kryptek™ and Multicam® camouflages are NIR treated
The Dragon Egg MK II backpack can be purchased from Direct Action for $139
There are on this article.
You must become a subscriber or login to view or post comments on this article.