I recently received the Roll-Top Scout pack from Duluth Pack. This pack is a little different from most, but at the same time very versatile as a day pack. The biggest difference is the roll-top design; similar to how you seal a dry bag. With the unique roll-top design you are able to increase the capacity of the pack by unrolling the top section to your desired height. This design also ensures that outside elements will not get to the interior of the pack. Even though the pack is not ‘water-proof’ it is extremely water-resistant due to the canvas material used. The heavy 15 ounce canvas is both weather resistant and very abrasion resistant.
The other design features I really like about this pack is the ‘old school’ materials used. A combination of the leather, heavy-duty canvas and cotton straps really make this pack stand out in a sea of nylon and fastex buckles.
I’m going to take this pack out on several day hikes to see what the comfort level is with the loadout I choose to bring. I will publish an update and more in-depth review in the coming weeks.
From Duluth Pack:
An ideal companion for bikers and commuters alike, the bag offers the option of rolling the bag down to accommodate a small load or higher to pack everything you might need for a weekend. The pack rides snug against the back; meaning no shifting around on your ride to work, and no accidentally bumping strangers on the subway. With the same traditional aesthetic as our popular Scout and Scoutmaster Pack, this bag is sure to be your go-to everyday backpack.
- Extra canvas length to roll your pack close to optimally secure your goods at whichever height desired. 22″ total height. 16″ high at tightest roll.
- Riveted leather reinforcements to make it a multi-generational heirloom.
- Hand constructed 15 oz. canvas for durable quality and heritage “better-with-age” aesthetic.
- Outside pocket for easily accessing important items.
- Flexible cotton straps provide durable comfort.
12″W x 4″D x 16″H (to 22″)