Century Arms and Canik USA have expanded the TP9 line once more. The TP9 SFx is a competition-oriented model akin to the Walther Q5 Match. With a 5.2″ barrel the TP9 SFx has the length to not only squeeze more velocity and power out of 9mm rounds, but also provides a lengthy sight radius.
The increased velocity from a 5.2″ barrel is a welcome feature for anyone who shoots steel or bowling-pin matches. At some of these matches the target must be knocked over or off of a stand to count as a hit. 9mm is loved for its affordability, availability, and low recoil, but needs speed to have knock-down power in the most literal sense.
Aside from the longer barrel and lightening cuts on the slide, another slide cut makes the TP9 SFx stand out. This TP9 is ready for optics. As you’ll see in the video above, the TP9 SFx is not only pre-cut for optics, but includes mounting plates to accept most of the common reflex-sights. An interesting bonus is the inclusion of an optional charging handle to make racking the slide easier with an optic installed.
The rest of the gun is mostly unchanged from the basic TP9 design save two changes in controls. The magazine release is extended (second size option included), and the slide lock/slide release has a nice flare to it to make releasing the slide very easy. Other specifications and facts can be seen below as taken directly from the product webpage.
|COLOR||Tungsten Grey||Tungsten Grey||FDE|
|CALIBER||9mm Luger||9mm Luger||9mm Luger|
|CAPACITY||20+1 rds.||10+1 rds.||20+1 rds.|
|WEIGHT||1.83 lbs. unloaded||1.83 lbs. unloaded||1.83 lbs. unloaded|
- Comes with industry standard dovetail sight cuts that are compatible with a large variety of aftermarket sights
- Warren Tactical sights with red and green fiber optic front sight
- Removable Red Dot cover – Rear sight installed in cover to eliminate interference with certain Red Dot sights
- Four Red Dot interface plates
- Match grade barrel
- Improved single action trigger
- Lightening cuts on slide
- Forward slide serrations
- Reversible ambidextrous cocking lever
- Extended ergonomic slide release
- Adjustable length reversible magazine release buttons
- Two extra sizes of magazine catch extension
- Striker status indicator
- Cerakote over phosphate
- MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail
- AFC magazine coating
- Comes with two mags., poly holster, paddle attachment, belt attachment, interchangeable backstraps, cleaning rod, brush and a limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty
As you can see the TP9 SFx is competition ready out of the box. Once again Century Arms and Canik USA have managed to provide us with an excellent handgun at an excellent price. As far as real-world performance I’ll get the gun out to the range soon for my standard battery of tests.
If you enjoyed this article, please consider supporting our Veteran Editorial by becoming a SOFREP subscriber. Click here to get 3 months of full ad-free access for only $1