Century Arms now offers nine variants of the Canik TP9 series. The TP9 SA Mod 2 offers a few small tune-ups from the original. The single-action trigger has been improved and top of the slide flattened. These updates bring the gun more in line with the other TP9 models. If you’re not familiar with the Canik TP9 it is a series of striker-fired guns that bear a resemblance to the Walther P99 and PPQ at a lower cost. Each of the nine variants currently available offer something unique.
The TP9 SA Mod 2 offers a de-cocker mounted on top of the slide. As demonstrated by YouTube’s Fire Mountain Outdoors in this video, early internet rumors that the original was at risk of being decocked were disproved. The exception in their test were ninjas who knew exactly what model gun you had and could attack you from a 90-degree angle. As solid as the original was the Mod 2 now has the button only on one side of the slide and is significantly stronger.
Why have it at all? For one it makes disassembly safer, or at least means not pulling the trigger to field strip. If you don’t like it, don’t use it. See the video below for a closer look.
Specifications taken directly from the product web page:
- Comes with industry standard dovetail sight cuts that are compatible with a large variety of aftermarket sights
- Warren Tactical sights with rear U-notch and white dot front
- Match grade barrel
- Top-slide-mounted disassembly button
- Flat top slide for better sight acquisition
- Loaded chamber indicator
- Striker status indicator
- Improved single action trigger
- Reversible magazine release
- MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail
- AFC magazine coating
- Comes with two mags., poly holster, paddle attachment, belt attachment, interchangeable backstraps, cleaning rod, brush and a limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty
We’ll get the TP9 SA Mod 2 out to the range soon and run it through our normal battery of tests and be back with shooting impressions.
If you enjoyed this article, please consider supporting our Veteran Editorial by becoming a SOFREP subscriber. Click here to join SOFREP now for just $0.50/week.