A lot of buzz going around in the Heckler and Koch community lately. HK has given us a sneak peek of its new striker-fired 9mm pistol, the VP9!
If any one thing that stands out to me at first notice, it would have to be the crisp trigger. The reset is a smooth, short, and very distinct, it almost feels like a single action trigger. The pistol also comes with a combination of three interchangeable back-straps and six grip panels that allow custom fit for all shooters. 27 unique, custom-fitted grip combinations are possible for VP9 pistols.
Here are some of the key points HK has put into this pistol:
- Patented HK charging supports make pulling the VP slide rearward effortless
- Low snag rear sight is drift adjustable for windage
- Enlarged, heavy-duty extractor for reliability also functions as a loaded chamber indicator
- Low profile right side slide release lever
- Ambidextrous magazine release is easily operated using your thumb or index finger without changing grip position
- Extended Picatinny rail rated to handle lights, lasers, aimers, and other accessory loads up to 5.6 ounces with no impact on performance.
- Cold-hammered forged barrel ensures long service life and outstanding shooting accuracy. Polygonal bore profile for increased velocity, easier cleaning, and longer barrel life.
- VP9 pistols have non-radioactive luminescent three dot sights for fast target acquisition. Accessory tritium sights also available.
- Action Type: Browning type, modified linkless locking system
- Trigger System: Striker fired
- Magazine: 15 round or 10 round capacity
- Dimensions & Weight: Length 7.34 inches / 186.5 mm Width 1.32 inches / 33.5 mm Height 5.41 inches / 137.5 mm
- Barrel Length: 4.09 inches / 104 mm
- Sight Radius (Sights): 6.38 inches / 162 mm (three dot , non-radioactive luminous)
- Weight (with empty magazine): 26.56 ounces / 753 grams
- Weight (empty magazine): 3.28 ounces / 93 grams
- Trigger Pull: 5.4 pounds / 24 Newtons
- Trigger Travel: .24 inches / 6 mm
- Return Travel: .12 inches / 3 mm
- Barrel Profile/Twist: Polygonal, 6 grooves, right-hand twist, 1 in 9.8 inches / 1 in 250 mm
- Test guns have fired 10,000 rounds+, comparable HK 9 mm models have achieved 91,000 rounds
- Safety: Firing pin block, trigger latch safety. Pistol and magazine ACC225 NATO and NIJ0112.03 safety certified including drop tested
The new pistol is scheduled to be available in July and will retail for $719.
If you enjoyed this article, please consider supporting our Veteran Editorial by becoming a SOFREP subscriber. Click here to get 3 months of full ad-free access for only $1