During the course of just over a week, I had the opportunity to travel across country from New York, back home to Lake Tahoe. Living out of a tent for over a week is not a significant achievement, but when you don’t have the right equipment, the trip can get bogged down with discomfort and annoyance. Fortunately, I had a new NEMO tent in my possession and things turned out better than expected. From the Grand Teton to Antelope Canyon, I was able to experience some of the greatest natural giants of the lower 48.
During my travels cross country and back home, I’ve found the Nemo Dagger 3P Ultralight Backpacking Tent is surprisingly roomy, durable, and lightweight. It’s not often you find this and it’s actually quite difficult to combine roomy, durable, and lightweight – all in the same product. Similar to the diagram below, but with a small twist.
Its like the good/cheap/fast gigs everyone seems to think exists these days. Generally, two is as good as it gets. Most of the time, things aren’t bundled together that well.
The NEMO Dagger is a different animal. You actually do get roomy, durable and lightweight in a tent. My first concern is always weight when it comes to backpacking. This thing packs down smaller than the first foam rollup sleeping pad I once owned. My second concern is always the zippers. No one likes a tent that has a busted zipper. The two zippers can be yanked on without being yanked off or stuck, and that warrants a thumbs up in my book. Added quickie bonus – the setup time is under a few minutes and the poles collapse into a single set for ultra easy storage.
As a photographer, I’m already lugging heavy packs full of electronics up mountain peaks. The last thing I want is extra weight. NEMO has done a fantastic job at removing some of the weight off my back. The photos are a few taken from my trip through through the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone National Park, Antelope Canyon and home at Lake Tahoe. NEMO made my life easier and enabled me to not only get the shots I wanted, but needed.
NEMO Dagger Specs
- Capacity 3P
- Minimum Weight — 3 lbs 12 oz / 1.71 kg
- On the Fly Weight — 3 lbs 11 oz / 1.68kg
- Trail Weight — 4 lbs 4 oz / 1.9 kg
- Floor Dimensions — 90 in x 70 in / 229 cm x 177 cm
- Floor Area — 43 sq ft / 4.0 sq m
- Vestibule Area — 23 sq ft / 2.1 sq m
- Interior Height — 42 in / 107 cm
- Number of Doors — 2
- Frame Description — 1 DAC 9.0 / 9.6 mm Featherlite NSL
- Packed Size — 19 x 6 in dia / 48 x 16 cm dia
- Vestibule Fabric — 20D PeU Nylon Ripstop (1200mm)
- Fly Fabric — 15D Nylon (1200 mm)
- Canopy Fabric — 20D Nylon Ripstop / No see um mesh
- Floor Fabric — 30D PU Nylon Ripstop (3000mm)
- Color — Birch Leaf Green
- MSRP — $499.95