The streamlined Beta AR Jacket provides the backcountry minimalist with durable storm protection in a lightweight and packable format. This hip-length GORE-TEX Pro jacket reduces layering overlap and bulk, its helmet compatible DropHood offers quick storm protection, and the jacket’s reinforced shoulders and elbows can survive alpine abuse.
Colors available: Anvil Grey, Black, Chipotle (Bright Orange), Mantis Green (Bright Safety Green), Nighthawk (Grey-Blue hybrid), and Thalo Blue (blueish in color)
Sizes Available: S, M, L, XL, XXL
Weight: 460 grams (1 pound, 0.2 ounces)
Material: Outer shell N80p-X GORE-TEX Pro 3L, watertight Vislon front zipper seals weather tight with overlapping “zipper garage” for extra weather protection. Armpit areas feature a watertight zipper that allows cool air into the jacket when needed. The Arc’teryx DropHood, a helmet-compatible, fast-adjust hood with a separate collar for draft protection, has a generous cut that reduces the chances of it binding when looking around.
Fit and sizing: Arc’teryx’s standard “Athletic fit” uses anatomical shaping and gussets to enhance motion and eliminate excess bulk. It’s trimmer than the “relaxed-fit” model, but still leaves room for a base layer, a light fleece mid-layer, and a synthetic or down-filled mid-layer. The jacket is cut in such a way that the “normal” length sits even with your natural waistline.
Application: All-around mountain use, alpine climbing, backcountry exploring, hiking, or any adventure where you need absolute protection with minimal weight.
Pros: Waterproof, snow shedding, breathable, windproof, durable, lightweight material. One-hand adjustable drawstrings all around, proven 14-year track record.
Cons: Cost—may not be in everyone’s price range.
Overall performance: When it comes to outdoor wear for extreme climates where a mistake can cost lives, Arc’teryx gear has a reputation for second-to-none performance. You get what you pay for with their products. The fact that this jacket has remained unchanged for its entire 14-year run in the Arc’teryx line is amazing; it’s hard to find any other product in the outdoor community that does that and still performs at such a high level. If you have any doubts, look at the list of features below, then stop by a retailer and look at it in person, or order from the company website.
- Taped seams for added weatherproofing
- DWR finish (durable water-repellent) helps repel water from fabric
- Micro-seam allowance (1.6 mm) reduces bulk and weight
- One-hand adjustable drawcords
- Anatomical shaping for fit and comfort
- Articulated elbows
- Ergonomic 3-dimensional patterning for enhanced comfort and mobility
- No-lift gusseted underarms
- Athletic fit for a slimmer, more flattering profile
- Laminated brim
- Helmet compatible DropHood™
- Chin guard with brushed microsuede facing for added comfort
Zippers and fly configuration
- WaterTight™ external zippers
- Laminated pit zippers allow for faster venting
- Corded zipper-pulls reduce noise and are easy to grab
- WaterTight™ Vislon front zip
- Zipper garages to protect zipper closure from snow and rain
This product can be purchased here.