I’ve always got my eye out for a good everyday carry backpack (part of being a gear nut). When I’m looking at backpacks for everyday carry they have to meet the following criteria.
- It has to be able to blend in with the local area I’m moving around in and not scream tactical
- The pack must be durable and stand up to less than ideal weather conditions. My packs not only serve as an EDC pack, but also as my day hiking pack.
- Keep it simple. I don’t want pockets and pouches everywhere. Give me a single exterior pocket and some basic interior organization and call it a day.
- Made in the USA is always a huge plus
As I was looking around on the internet the other day I came across the Recycled Firefighter. I have heard of them before, mostly due to the wallets they are known for making. They use repurposed material from fire hoses, firefighter coats and firefighter pants. They also sew in 1000D Cordura and military combat boot leather.
One of the products now offered is the “THE CHIEF” Everyday Carry Backpack. This pack really has peaked my interest after reading about it. Everything from the style of the pack, the size, materials used and durability are exactly what I look for when searching for an EDC Pack.
Specs (courtesy of recycledfirefighter.com)
- 19 Liters of volume
- Bag does not come with any Morale Patches
- 1 Exterior front zippered pocket and 2 Interior zippered pockets
- Interior laptop Sleeve with 1″ webbing buckle strap. Fits up to 15″ laptop
- 1000D Cordura durable water-resistant nylon
- Huge #10 USA Made YKK Coil Zippers throughout
- 1″ Mil-Spec binding on interior (no raw edges)
- 1″ Mil-Spec webbing on shoulder strap edges
- Large carry handle made from 1″ and 2″ Mil-Spec webbing
- 3″ Wide padded Shoulder straps for awesome comfort
- All USA made plastic hardware
- 550 Cord Zipper Pulls
- Bar tacks on shoulder attachment points
- 19″ tall, 12″ wide, 6″ deep
- Lay flat design for easy access
- 2″ USA made Velcro front panel for morale patches
- .35″ thick foam bottom, .35″ thick foam back (behind laptop sleeve)
- All stress points are Double or Triple sewn
- MSRP $159
If you enjoyed this article, please consider supporting our Veteran Editorial by becoming a SOFREP subscriber. Click here to join SOFREP now for just $0.50/week.