I’ve owned other Salomon shoes and boots in the past and can honestly say they have been the best footwear I’ve spent money on. Yes, they may cost more than other brands, but you get what you pay for. My military service taught me the importance of having the proper footwear and taking care of your feet when out in the field for extended periods of time. The Salomon boots do a great job at providing ankle support and arch support, but they are on the heavier side. I’ve always had an eye on the mid-height XA Pro’s, but never pulled the trigger on them until now.
The Salomon XA Pro Mid GTX trail shoes offer outstanding ankle support in a durable lightweight package. There is just something about slipping on a great pair of Salomon’s that you don’t get with other brands (it’s hard to describe without actually trying them on). These shoes are lightweight, durable, waterproof, and offer great traction. They offer no insulating properties which I prefer in this type of boot (Once you sweat into the insulation, the boot will be “cold” the rest of its life). These are also extremely popular with our military SOF units, so that should tell you something.
Here are some of the technologies used in these Salomon shoes:
- Quicklace – Minimalistic approach for one-pull tightening. Easy on, easy off.
- Lace Pocket – Provides storage for the quicklace system.
- Gore-Tex – Keeps your feet dry from both the outside and inside. Breathable yet waterproof.
- Protective Rubber Toe Cap – Protect your toes in both mountainous and trail environments.
- Gusseted Tongue – Eliminated debris from getting inside your shoe
- Contagrip Outsole – Delivers optimal traction on varied surfaces
- Ortholite Foam Inserts – Creates a cooler & drier environment under your feet. It will not break down or lose effectiveness over time.
- Temperature Range – 32 degrees and above
*Featured photo courtesy of Youtube
If you enjoyed this article, please consider supporting our Veteran Editorial by becoming a SOFREP subscriber. Click here to get 3 months of full ad-free access for only $1