The Snugpak Stratosphere bivvi shelter is a one-man bivvi but also has the features of a small one-man tent. It is extremely light, weighing only 1.13kgs, and very easy to erect – it took me under a minute to put it together.
Once the shelter is together, it is quite spacious inside around the head area. There is room for a small day pack and, obviously, your weapon. There is also an overhead zip pocket for storage. Anybody who is familiar with a standard-issue army bivvi will know that it is literally a cover over your head, but the Stratosphere is different. It actually feels like a tent, which is a luxury when deployed or on exercise.
Most of the time you would only be throwing a bivvi up for a few quick hours rest, if you’re lucky, and this is perfect for that purpose. The Stratosphere is waterproof and provides good shelter from the rain. There is also a mosquito net in front of the hood and a meshed ventilation section at back. When the bivvi is ready to be packed away it comes with its own stuff sack.
Overall the Snugpak Stratosphere is a great alternative to the standard-issue bivvi. It is light, small, keeps you dry, and packs away and assembles easily.
Specs from the manufacturer
- PACK WEIGHT: 1.13kg (including pegs)
- DIMENSIONS: 230cm(L) x 106cm(W) x 49cm(H)
- PACK SIZE: 31cm(L) x 14cm(W)
- ORIGIN: Imported
- SEASONS: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter
- Zip: Full length side zip
- Fabric Outer: 50D Nylon Rip stop (5000mm HH)
- Highly Breathable (5000g/ m2 Moisture Permeability)
- Fabric Bottom: 70D Nylon Taffeta with PU coating (8000mm HH)
- Poles: 8.5 mm Aluminium (Outside diameter) with screw lock tip
- Seams are waterproof and taped
- Ultra compact 1 Person shelter
- Stands up to severe weather
- Makes sure you stay dry
- Small Pack size
- Ultralight alloy pegs
Price: $147 available on Amazon!
There are on this article.
You must become a subscriber or login to view or post comments on this article.