The argument over the best types of ammo for self-defense is never-ending. Rifle versus pistol, caliber, terminal ballistics, over-penetration concerns, manufacturer differences, and a host of other factors are always going to cloud the answer as to what makes the perfect round. Generally, it comes down to cost considerations and personal preference when putting rounds down range.
There is always someone willing to tell you what round is best for you in a particular scenario—typically a manufacturer.
Usually these arguments are presented by the manufacturer in order to increase sales. Sometimes their methods are questionable and yet other times they are legitimate. So how are you supposed to decide what is best for you with so many options and opinions out there, and without having to spend loads of money in the process? Take a look at the data below and make your own decision.
This document compiles the best choices available for self-defense ammunition. It includes a scientific background as to the selection criteria that is used to determine the choices presented. Data is provided for common handgun and rifle ammunition, and a small section on shotgun ammunition. Please read the entire document and familiarize yourself with the background information. The choices presented will then make much more sense.
- TERMINAL BALLISTICS BACKGROUND DISCUSSION
- OVER-PENETRATION INSIDE THE HOME
- PISTOL AMMUNITION
- .40 S&W
- .44 magnum
- Pistol bullet summary by manufacturer
- Handgun ammunition comparison tests by Doctor Roberts
- RIFLE AMMUNITION
- Barrier-blind loads
- Performance analysis of selected .223/5.56 ammunition types:
- Why not M193/M855?
- 6.8mm SPC
- Performance analysis of selected 6.8SPC ammunition types
- .30 Carbine
- .300 AAC Blackout
- Performance analysis of selected .300AAC ammunition types
- Performance analysis of selected 7.62×39 ammunition types
- Performance analysis of selected .308 ammunition types
- Rifle data by manufacturer
- Collected rifle ammunition comparison tests by Doctor Roberts
- SHOTGUN AMMUNITION
- COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
- REVISION HISTORY
Read more at AR-15.com