A deadly suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan killed at least four people Thursday night, three Afghan civilians and one NATO soldier. The attack took place on a convoy of foreign troops that were traveling between Kabul and the American bases in the country.

Besides the four dead, US officials say that up to a dozen Afghan civilians and coalition soldiers were also injured in the blast. A statement from the Resolute Support headquarters stated that one NATO soldier was killed and six troops, five soldiers, and an interpreter were wounded and being treated at Bagram Airfield.

The Taliban told journalists the bomber was one of its men.

Thursday’s attack followed a Taliban attack in southern Afghanistan’s Kandahar province that killed at least two American soldiers; the insurgents claimed the casualty toll was far higher.

The convoy that came under attack Thursday was made up of both Afghan and NATO troops, traveling through Kabul’s Qarabagh district near Bagram Airfield, the largest concentration of U.S. forces in the country.

The military statement indicated the assailant detonated a suicide vest he was wearing.

Taliban Attack NATO Convoy, Kills 14 Afghan Soldiers in Separate Attacks

Read Next: Taliban Attack NATO Convoy, Kills 14 Afghan Soldiers in Separate Attacks

Five NATO troops and one Afghan interpreter were wounded by the explosion and were taken to the U.S. military hospital at Bagram, about 50 kilometers from the Afghan capital. All were reported in stable condition.

Others who were wounded were taken to an Italian-run hospital in Kabul that specializes in treating bombing victims. A report from the hospital soon after the suicide attack said 12 people were being treated “so far.”

None of the victims of Thursday’s attack were identified.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed that during the Kandahar attack the insurgent drove his explosives-laden car into the convoy, killing 15 foreign soldiers.

One western media reporter at the scene said one armored vehicle and one other vehicle were badly damaged in the blast which was the result of an IED. Coalition helicopters made at least four flights from the Kandahar base to the attack scene to secure the area and remove the wreckage.

To read the entire article from Voice of America, click here:

Photo courtesy DOD