When the folks at Pyramyd AIR asked me what kind of air rifle I wanted to try, I quickly picked out the Air Venturi Avenger in .22 caliber. I liked the looks and the amount of punch it was able to deliver. Living just outside of town, I had never been able to shoot in my backyard before, and I thought this would be fun. As it turns out, I was right. The Avenger is an absolute blast. I blew off round after round with a massive smile on my face.
After getting everything dialed in, I knocked out consistent quarter-sized groupings at about 50 yards from a prone, supported firing position. For those of you without a military or shooting background, that means lying in the dirt with the barrel of the rifle supported by a sandbag. I might add that this task was made possible since Pyramyd was kind enough to toss in an Element Helix 6-24 x 50 scope. It’s truly a quality piece.
The Air Venturi Avenger
The Air Venturi Avenger, sold through Pyramyd AIR, has significantly impacted the airgun market, offering an intriguing blend of affordability, performance, and customization that appeals especially to the enthusiast segment. I am now officially an enthusiast. I’ve never had this much fun in my own backyard.
What This Exceptional Air Rifle Has To Offer
- Exceptional Value: At just under $400, the Avenger represents a remarkable investment. Its combination of features – including regulated, multi-shot capacity, quiet operation, and side lever cocking – is typically found in more expensive models. The standout feature is its externally adjustable regulator, which is a significant draw for those who love a hands-on approach to their air rifles.
- Customization and Tinkering: One of the Avenger’s most compelling features is its adaptability. It functions perfectly straight from the box, but its true potential is unleashed through customization. The ability to alter the regulator setting, thereby modifying the gun’s shooting behavior, is a major plus for enthusiasts who enjoy tailoring their equipment to specific needs. This level of customization requires a bit of expertise and equipment, like a chronograph, to fine-tune the settings for optimal performance.
- Performance Metrics: In terms of speed and accuracy, the Avenger excels. Factory tests show consistent shot delivery with an average speed of 919.55 FPS using H&N Field Target Trophy pellets. The adjustable hammer spring tension is a key feature essential for achieving the best results with various regulator pressures. This flexibility in tuning is a significant advantage, allowing users to modify the rifle to their specific shooting style and requirements.
- Accuracy and Precision: The Avenger’s precision is noteworthy. Testing with 22-grain FX Hybrid Slugs yielded excellent results. Moreover, a .22 caliber Avenger achieved groups smaller than 1 inch at 45 yards and maintained accuracy better than 2 inches at 75 yards, using 18.23 Grain JSB Jumbo Heavies. These results illustrate the rifle’s capability to maintain high accuracy over considerable distances, a critical factor for both target shooting and hunting applications. The ability to fine-tune the rifle to achieve such precision at various distances and with different pellet weights adds to its appeal for serious shooters.
- Market Impact: The Avenger is considered a transformative product in the under $400 Pre-Charged Pneumatic (PCP) market. It brings high-end tuning and customization capabilities, typically seen in more expensive air rifles, into a more accessible price range. This democratization of advanced features marks it as a revolutionary offering for airgun enthusiasts looking for a high-performance, versatile, and adjustable rifle without breaking the bank.
Incorporating these aspects, the Air Venturi Avenger emerges as an exemplary choice for airgun enthusiasts. Its low price point, combined with high-end features, makes it a unique proposition in the market. It caters especially to those who derive satisfaction from personalizing and fine-tuning their equipment. The Avenger’s ability to maintain high performance, even with extensive customization, makes it a preferred choice for both recreational shooters and those engaging in more serious pursuits like small game hunting or competitive shooting. Its impact on the airgun market is a testament to its innovative design and functionality, providing an affordable platform for airgun enthusiasts to experience features typically reserved for more expensive models.