The creation of the Paratroopers School in 1955 began the first attempts of utilizing the parachute as an operational tool. After the reorganization of the Raiding Forces, it was decided for a number of officers and NCO’s to be attached to the Paratroopers School and then form a new unit under the School’s command. The Special Paratroopers Section was the first unit of paratroopers with an operational role in the Greek army.

The unit’s mission was the rapid deployment behind enemy lines and the conduct of unconventional warfare, mainly through guerrilla tactics. The training program that was followed was very different and much more demanding of any other raiding forces unit.

In 1963 the Paratroopers School and the Special Paratroopers Section merged forming the Paratroopers Detachment, but in 1965, as two Paratroopers Squadrons (battalion-sized) were created, they returned to their previous state. The Special Paratroopers Section continued to exist but being deprived the previous attention, it was unable to capitalize the newly acquainted military free-fall training capabilities.

By the mid-70s, NATO forces began to examine the idea of long range reconnaissance patrols and to create a centralized training program. The result was the formation of the International Long range Reconnaissance Patrol School in West Germany with which Greece signed an agreement of active collaboration in 1981. A large number of officers and NCO’s of the Greek SOF attended the School as trainees, and were then transferred to the Special Paratroopers Section, thus enhancing the overall level of the unit.