India and China have agreed to disengage troops from a hotly disputed border area in the western Himalayas where they have had a contentious standoff since last spring. 

Al Jazeera reported that although both sides have been disputing control of the mountainous region for several decades, on Thursday, Indian Minister of Defense Rajnath Singh said they had reached an agreement where both will disengage their military forces. 

“Our sustained talks with China have led to agreement on disengagement on the north and south banks of Pangong Lake,” Singh told members of India’s parliament, referencing the talks with China. The talks had been going on since last spring. Singh said the two sides would begin “a phased, coordinated, and verified” withdrawal by both sides. 

Singh assured Indian lawmakers, however, that despite the disengagement agreement India was far from conceding the territory to China.