Today, we feature Kelin Ray reviewing the 5.11 Tactical LV18 “Low-Vis” 30-liter backpack. This was first featured on our sister site, The Loadout Room, in 2019. It was voted the best bag of SHOT Show that year, and the new and improved 2.0 model is still one of the best backpacks out there, and with good reason.
The pack has been revamped since then and now features 5.11’s distinct CenterLine design. This latest version comes with enhanced Duraflex buckles, which are now more glove-friendly than ever. The backpack boasts a more spacious ambidextrous side-entry compartment for concealed carry, with an expanded loop area and a new, detachable holster retention strap for a customizable gear arrangement. An elevated padded sleeve now secures your laptop more efficiently, thanks to its increased height and added security strap. The LV18 2.0 also allows seamless attachment with the 5.11 LV6 bag via its upgraded webbing loops, offering extended cargo space.
This backpack doesn’t just promise durability; it also ensures your comfort. The padded back panel is designed with a Flex cuff channel, ensuring easy wear. For your hydration needs, there are expandable pockets perfectly sized for water bottles, and the side compression straps provide additional external storage options. Organizational needs are met with a generously sized front pocket and a secondary compartment.
Quick access to your essentials is guaranteed with the quick-release shoulder straps, which include a detachable sternum strap for rapid gear retrieval. There’s an added tri-glide waist belt for those longer journeys for optional support. And for those seeking discretion, the backpack features tuckable logos, allowing for a more understated presence. This new iteration of the LV18 2.0 Backpack is a fusion of functionality, comfort, and stealth, tailor-made for the demanding user.
Loadout Room Video Review
- Featuring 5.11’s signature Center Line design
- Front pocket with zippered pocket, admin org, and slip pockets
- Ambidextrous side entry CCW compartment with loop panel and removable retention strap
- Main compartment with padded laptop sleeve, securing strap, and rear access
- A secondary compartment with two zippered pockets and a slip pocket
- Side compression straps and expandable water bottle pockets
- Lower webbing straps for extra cargo or attaching the LV6
- Tuckable logos for low-vis
- Triglide for optional waist belt attachment
- Flex cuff channel on the back panel
- Padded back panel and quick-release shoulder straps with removable sternum strap
- 840D Nylon
19.5″H x 11.0″W x 5.5″D
30 Liters – 1769 Cubic Inches
Weight – 2.8 lbs
I travel a fair bit, and this seems to be just about the perfect size to carry on an aircraft. It will stow neatly under the seat in front of you, eliminating the need to bother everyone around you as you awkwardly retrieve your bag from the overhead bin to grab some beef jerky.
The LV18 could quickly become my new “go-to” travel bag, and if you try it out, you may find it fits that role perfectly for you as well.