Saudi Arabian-led coalition fighter jets conducted 14 different airstrikes in Yemen early on Sunday. They targeted barracks and military sites of the armed Houthi movement in the Yemeni capital Sanaa, the Saudi-owned al-Arabiya news channel reported.
Among the targets was the former command center for the Republican Guard located south of Sanaa and a maintenance camp that Iranian-led militias use to produce, develop, and manufacture weapons. The coalition also destroyed four Iranian-backed Houthi drones at al-Dulami air base north of Sanaa, al-Arabiya said, quoting local sources.
The Houthi militia’s al-Masirah TV channel likewise reported the airstrikes.
The Saudi-led coalition has not given any official confirmation of the attacks. However, these latest airstrikes follow attacks, which were conducted on Saturday, against two missile and drone depots sites in Sanaa.
Saturday’s strikes followed a Houthi claim that it had attacked an “important target” in the Saudi capital Riyadh on Thursday using a ballistic missile and drones. The Houthis’ military spokesman, Yahya Sarea, had released a statement on Twitter claiming that Houthi missiles and drones had hit “military and sensitive objects” at the Abha international airport.
The coalition did not confirm an attack on Riyadh but said it had intercepted and destroyed ballistic missiles and explosive drones launched towards the kingdom on Thursday. According to Saudi news sources, Houthi rebels conducted five drone attacks against the kingdom this week.
“The Joint Forces Command of the Coalition has intercepted and destroyed a number of ballistic missiles and booby-trapped drones launched by the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia towards the Kingdom to target civilians and civilian objects,” a statement on the Saudi Press Agency read.
The frequency of bombings in Sanaa has decreased since September of last year when Saudi Arabia launched indirect talks with the Iranian-backed Houthi movement. The two parties have been at war since 2015.
The Houthis took over the Yemeni capital Sanaa and most other cities in 2014 after ousting the Saudi-backed government of Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi. The Western-backed coalition, which Saudi Arabia leads, intervened to try to restore Hadi to power.
The conflict has killed 100,000 people and led to what the United Nations describes as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. It has thrust the poor country of Yemen deeper into despair.
On August 29th, an al-Qaeda commander was arrested in Yemen while he was planning a terrorist attack in the capital Sanaa, according to the Tasnim News.
A Yemeni military official said that the terrorist was coming from the central province of Ma’rib to carry out a terrorist operation in the capital. Brigadier General Abdul Khaleq al-Ajri, the spokesperson of Yemen’s Interior Ministry, said that the detained al-Qaeda commander had led the terrorist forces in the Qaifa area of the central province of al-Bayda, where they were forced to flee after being driven out by Yemeni forces.