News

Evening Brief: House Set to Vote on $901 Billion Defense Bill, US Says Possible Stryker Transfer to Poland, European Leaders Back Zelenskyy

A Charlotte train stabbing suspect is held without bond, a developer sues after Apple pulled an ICE-tracking app, and Congress advances a $901B defense bill restoring Ukraine aid. Here’s what’s making headlines this Monday evening.

Catch up on what happened this Monday, December 8, 2025.

Advertisement

 

Judge Orders Honduran Man Held Without Bond in Charlotte Train Stabbing

A North Carolina judge on Monday ordered 33-year-old Oscar Solarzano, a Honduran national in the US illegally, to be held without bond on charges including attempted first-degree murder after a stabbing aboard Charlotte’s Blue Line commuter train.

Authorities say Solarzano, who had been banned from city transit property in October, stabbed 24-year-old Kenyon Kareem Dobie during a confrontation.

Advertisement

Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said Solarzano had been deported twice and previously convicted of robbery and illegal reentry; a federal detainer has been issued.

Dobie, recovering in the hospital, said he intervened because Solarzano was yelling at an elderly woman.

Advertisement

 

Judge Orders Honduran Man Held Without Bond in Charlotte Train Stabbing

A North Carolina judge on Monday ordered 33-year-old Oscar Solarzano, a Honduran national in the US illegally, to be held without bond on charges including attempted first-degree murder after a stabbing aboard Charlotte’s Blue Line commuter train.

Authorities say Solarzano, who had been banned from city transit property in October, stabbed 24-year-old Kenyon Kareem Dobie during a confrontation.

Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said Solarzano had been deported twice and previously convicted of robbery and illegal reentry; a federal detainer has been issued.

Dobie, recovering in the hospital, said he intervened because Solarzano was yelling at an elderly woman.

The case follows a fatal knife attack on the transit system in August and has drawn comments from US President Donald Trump, who blamed Democratic leadership for crime in Charlotte.

City officials said they have increased security on public transit but noted immigration enforcement is outside their jurisdiction.

 

Developer Sues Trump Administration After Apple Removes ICE-Tracking App

The creator of ICEBlock, an iPhone app that alerted users to suspected US immigration enforcement activity, filed a federal lawsuit Monday accusing the Trump administration of violating his First Amendment rights.

Developer Joshua Aaron alleges Attorney General Pam Bondi pressured Apple to remove the app by using “state power” and threatening criminal prosecution.

ICEBlock, which had more than 1 million users before its removal in October, was pulled after Bondi said it endangered Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers, a claim Apple cited when blocking downloads.

The lawsuit seeks protection from prosecution and a ruling affirming the app as protected speech.

Federal officials have not commented beyond earlier statements.

Aaron says the app helped immigrant communities stay aware of enforcement activity, while critics in the administration argue it exposed agents to harm.

 

House Set to Vote on $901B Defense Bill That Boosts Troop Pay and Restores Ukraine Aid

A bipartisan compromise defense policy bill heading to a House vote this week authorizes $901 billion in national security spending for next year, including a 3.8 percent military pay raise and $400 million annually for Ukraine assistance that the Trump administration sought to eliminate.

The legislation exceeds the administration’s budget request by $8 billion, and blocks planned cuts to the US troop presence in Europe and South Korea by requiring the Pentagon to meet strict conditions before reducing forces or surrendering leadership roles in NATO.

The bill includes extensive acquisition reforms and funds quality-of-life improvements such as new housing, schools, and child care centers. Republican priorities are also reflected, including eliminating Pentagon DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) programs, cutting climate-related spending, and banning men from competing in women’s sports at military academies.

The measure codifies several Trump executive orders but stops short of renaming the Defense Department as the “Department of War.” It maintains recent Army base name changes and omits expanded Tricare fertility coverage, drawing criticism from some Democrats.

The bill also repeals two long-standing Iraq and Gulf War authorizations as part of a broader effort to reclaim congressional war-powers authority.

 

US Says Possible Stryker Transfer to Poland Involves Old Gear, Not Troop Moves

US Army Europe and Africa (USAREUR-AF) said Monday that a potential transfer of about 250 Stryker armored vehicles to Poland involves legacy equipment and is unrelated to any changes in US force posture on the Continent.

The statement followed Polish media reports suggesting the US planned to hand over the vehicles—possibly for a symbolic $1—instead of shipping them back during a drawdown, raising speculation about a relocation of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment from Germany. Army officials said the vehicles are part of a Foreign Military Sales process, not tied to troop movements.

Poland’s defense minister said the Strykers’ condition is under review to determine whether they can be integrated into the Polish army.

 

Trump Unveils $12B Aid Package to Offset Farm Losses From China Trade War

US President Donald Trump announced a $12 billion farm aid package Monday to help producers hit by higher costs and lost sales tied to his tariffs on China.

The plan uses tariff revenue to fund one-time payments through the US Department of Agriculture’s Farmer Bridge Assistance program, with $11 billion allocated now and $1 billion reserved for specialty crops.

Soybean and sorghum growers, who rely heavily on exports to China, are among the hardest hit as Beijing has purchased only a fraction of the volumes it pledged after Trump’s October meeting with Xi Jinping.

Farmers welcomed the aid but said it does not fix long-term challenges caused by volatile markets, inflation and rising production costs. Some warned of consolidation as younger and land-renting farmers struggle to stay afloat.

Trump also faces pressure over record beef prices and has ordered federal agencies to investigate alleged anti-competitive behavior in food supply chains.

 

US and Australia Deepen Security Coordination as Indo-Pacific Tensions Rise

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth met with Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong and Defense Minister Richard Marles in Washington on Monday for annual talks centered on Indo-Pacific security and countering China’s regional assertiveness.

The officials highlighted growing cooperation on defense production, troop deployments and critical minerals, while reaffirming their shared goal of a free and open Indo-Pacific.

The meeting also touched on global issues, including the Russia-Ukraine war, the Gaza ceasefire and US strikes on suspected drug traffickers in the Western Hemisphere. Both sides emphasized progress on the AUKUS partnership, with Australia preparing to invest an additional $1 billion to expand US submarine production capacity.

Australian leaders stressed that closer alignment with the United States remains central to their security strategy as regional competition intensifies.

 

European Leaders Back Zelenskyy as US Peace Push Reaches ‘Critical Moment’

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy met British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz in London on Monday as Europe sought to coordinate its stance on the US-drafted proposal to end Russia’s war in Ukraine.

The leaders called the moment “decisive” and urged continued pressure on Russian President Vladimir Putin while addressing remaining gaps in the US plan, which has been reduced from 28 to 20 points after Kyiv objected to earlier provisions.

Zelenskyy emphasized the need for firm security guarantees to prevent future Russian aggression and rejected suggestions that Ukraine cede the occupied Donbas region.

Trump publicly criticized Zelenskyy for not yet reading the proposal, while the Kremlin praised the administration’s new national security strategy for aligning with Russian positions.

European leaders maintained support for a “just and lasting” ceasefire as Russia continued widespread drone strikes across Ukraine and Ukrainian forces targeted sites inside Russia.

 

EU Warns US Not to Interfere in European Politics After Trump Strategy Alarms Allies

European Council President António Costa warned Monday that the United States must not interfere in Europe’s political choices after the Trump administration’s new national security strategy appeared to criticize European Union policies while signaling sympathy for far-right movements.

Speaking in Paris, Costa said only European citizens can determine which parties govern them and rejected language in the US document portraying Europe as culturally threatened and politically unreliable.

The strategy, praised by Moscow, calls for a reset in US-Russia relations and downplays Russia as a threat, a stance EU officials say undermines European security amid the ongoing war in Ukraine.

Analysts warned the document could embolden nationalist parties seeking to weaken the EU from within.

German officials echoed concerns, criticizing the strategy’s attacks on European free speech and migration policies while underscoring the importance of continued trans-Atlantic cooperation.

 

Yemen Closes Airspace as UAE-Backed Separatists Seize Key Southern Regions

Yemen briefly closed its airspace Monday as tensions escalated after the United Arab Emirates (UAE)-backed Southern Transitional Council (STC) seized major territory in the oil-rich Hadhramaut province, deepening divisions within the anti-Houthi coalition.

A Yemeni government official said the Saudi-led coalition withheld flight permissions as a warning to the separatists, who have taken over government facilities, military bases, energy installations and airports across southern Yemen.

The STC, which seeks to restore an independent South Yemen, has expanded control into Mahra province and raised its flag over government buildings, prompting mass pro-independence demonstrations in Aden and Hadhramaut.

Yemen’s presidential council demanded that STC forces withdraw, calling the takeover a unilateral move that threatens state authority.

Analysts described the STC’s gains as a major shift that strengthens UAE influence and challenges Saudi Arabia’s security interests, while reshaping the balance of power in the decade-long conflict against the Houthi rebels.

 

Israeli Police Raid UNRWA Compound in East Jerusalem, Escalating Long-Running Campaign Against Agency

Israeli police forcibly entered the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA)’s compound in east Jerusalem early Monday, prompting condemnation from the United Nations, which called the action a violation of the agency’s protected status.

Police said the entry was part of a municipal debt-collection effort, while UNRWA described a large, unauthorized force breaching its premises.

The raid comes amid Israel’s broader push to dismantle UNRWA, which it banned from operating on its territory in January after accusing the agency of ties to Hamas. The UN denies the claims.

The operation occurred as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met US officials in Jerusalem to advance the US-brokered Gaza ceasefire plan, with a Trump-Netanyahu meeting scheduled for December 29.

Meanwhile, efforts continue to resolve the final steps of the ceasefire’s first phase, including recovery of the last hostage’s remains, while violence persists in Gaza and the West Bank.

 

Over 30 Killed in Eastern Congo Blast Amid Infighting Despite US-Brokered Peace Deal

More than 30 people were killed and 20 others wounded Sunday in the town of Sange in South Kivu, eastern Congo, after a bomb explosion triggered by clashes between the Congolese army (FARDC) and the pro-government Wazalendo militia.

The incident occurred days after Congo and Rwanda signed a US-brokered agreement aimed at ending the war with the Rwanda-backed M23 rebel group. Residents said FARDC troops and Wazalendo fighters exchanged fire following a dispute over troop movements, shortly before the explosion. Civilians fled the area, reporting continued fighting Monday.

The blast underscored ongoing instability despite the recent deal, which Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi accused Rwanda of violating through new cross-border attacks.

Burundi, whose forces support FARDC, also accused Rwanda of escalating assaults, calling the actions intolerable.

Fighting in eastern Congo continues to intensify, with M23 and government forces blaming each other for repeated ceasefire breaches.

 

Pakistan’s New Military Chief Warns Afghan Taliban to Break Ties With TTP

Pakistan’s newly appointed armed forces chief, General Asim Munir, warned Afghanistan’s Taliban government on Monday to choose between maintaining relations with Islamabad or supporting the Pakistani Taliban (TTP), which Pakistan blames for a rise in deadly attacks.

Munir issued the message during a ceremony in Rawalpindi marking the launch of Pakistan’s new joint military command, created to unify the army, navy and air force amid shifting regional threats. He said the Afghan Taliban must distance itself from the TTP, which has grown more active since Kabul’s takeover in 2021.

The remarks come as Pakistan and Afghanistan remain locked in tensions following October border clashes and failed ceasefire negotiations.

Munir also referenced Pakistan’s recent four-day conflict with India, saying the country’s response would be even stronger in any future confrontation.

 

Myanmar Airstrike on Village Tea Shop Kills at Least 18 Civilians

A Myanmar military airstrike on a crowded tea shop in Sagaing region’s Mayakan village on December 5 killed at least 18 civilians and wounded about 20 others, according to local residents and independent media.

A five-year-old child and two teachers were among those killed as people gathered to watch a football match. Witnesses said a jet dropped two bombs shortly after air raid sirens sounded, leaving little time for escape and damaging more than 20 nearby homes.

The attack occurred in an area with no recent fighting, though Sagaing remains a stronghold of anti-junta resistance.

The strike is part of escalating military air attacks ahead of elections scheduled for December 28.

Residents have begun fleeing or digging shelters, while the military has issued no statement on the incident.

 

7.5 Quake Off Northern Japan Injures 23 and Triggers Small Tsunami

A 7.5-magnitude earthquake struck off northern Japan late Monday, injuring at least 23 people and generating tsunami waves of up to 70 centimeters along the Pacific coast.

The quake hit about 80 kilometers (50 miles) off Aomori at 11:15 p.m. local time, prompting tsunami alerts and evacuations before advisories were later downgraded.

Most injuries resulted from falling objects, and power outages affected roughly 800 homes. Bullet train service was suspended, and nuclear facilities conducted safety checks, with one plant reporting a minor water spill that posed no safety risk.

Officials deployed helicopters and emergency teams to assess damage and urged residents to remain alert for aftershocks and potential larger quakes.

 

Sources: News Agencies

** Editor’s Note: Thinking about subscribing to SOFREP? You can support Veteran Journalism & do it now for only $1 for your first year. Pull the trigger on this amazing offer HERE. – GDM

Advertisement

What readers are saying

Generating a quick summary of the conversation...

This summary is AI-generated. AI can make mistakes and this summary is not a replacement for reading the comments.