Latest Update: Three suicide bombers detonated their devices at the international terminal entrance of the Ataturk Airport, killing 36 and wounding at least 147. Police identified the threat and opened fire on the bombers, after being fired upon the bombers detonated their devices. According to the Fox News:
At least 36 people were killed and 147 more were injured when three suicide bombers attacked Istanbul’s main international airport Tuesday night, Turkish officials said.
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim confirmed the death toll from the blasts at Istanbul Ataturk Airport. Earlier, Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag confirmed that 147 people had been wounded in the attacks.
The Associated Press initially quoted a senior Turkish official as saying that close to 50 people had already died. However, the news agency later said that the official told them the figure was expected to rise to close to 50.
A Turkish official told Reuters that the “vast majority” of victims were Turkish, but some foreigners were also affected.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but the same senior Turkish official told AP that initial indications suggested the Islamic State terror group (ISIS) were behind the attack. According to Reuters, a police source also told the Dogan News Agency, “ISIS is behind the attack.”
Social Media Live Feed from the area surrounding the Ataturk Airport:
See footage from the terrorist attack below:
Image courtesy of Reuters