The slick OH-58 Kiowa will soon be buzzing the Aegean skies.

But how can the bankrupt Greek economy afford the purchase, I can hear you asking.  Well, have you ever wondered what happens to old US military equipment?

Once retired, US military hardware is often given to friendly countries.  All an interested government has to do is send a letter of request to the State Department.  Requests can fall under three categories: Foreign Military Sales (FMS), Foreign Military Financing (FMF), or Excess Defense Articles (EDA).

Image courtesy of DVIDS Hub.

The difference between the three is simple.