Two Italians and a Canadian citizen who were kidnapped in southern Libya by armed men in September were freed unharmed and flown to Italy in the early hours of Saturday, the Italian authorities said.

Prime Minister Matteo Renzi of Italy expressed his nation’s thanks to the Libyan authorities and security forces for their role in liberating the men, who had been working as technicians on projects at an airport in Libya.

“Today is a moment of relief and joy that I would like to share with the families of our technicians,” Mr. Renzi said.

Italian officials identified the Italians as Danilo Calonego and Bruno Cacace and the Canadian citizen of Italian origin as Frank Poccia.

The two Italians were not mistreated during their captivity and are in good health, Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni said. He did not comment on the health of the Canadian citizen.

The three men were liberated during the night and then flown to Italy on a special flight early Saturday, the Italian authorities said.

Hague court says India must release Italian sailor

Read Next: Hague court says India must release Italian sailor

The men were kidnapped on Sept. 19 by armed and masked men who blocked their vehicle in Ghat, a city in southwestern Libya in the Sahara near the border with Algeria.

Read More- New York Times

Image courtesy of AFP