Hundreds of Boko Haram extremists attacked a military post in Niger near the country’s border with Nigeria, killing at least 32 soldiers, Niger’s defense ministry said on Saturday.
The attack in Bosso on Friday left 30 Niger soldiers and two soldiers from Nigeriadead, the ministry said in a statement, adding that at least 67 other soldiers were wounded.
“They burned houses, looted food stores and shops, and burned the military post before fleeing with weapons and ammunition,” said Adam Boukarna, a deputy in Bosso.
Residents left Bosso during the attacks and headed to Toumour, about 30km to the west, he said.
The military launched a counterattack on Saturday using air and land forces, pushing the militants out of Bosso and inflicting heavy casualties, the ministry said without giving further details.
Boko Haram claimed responsibility for the attack, saying 35 soldiers were killed, according to the SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors jihadi online postings. The Nigeria-based Islamic militants pledged support for the Isis last year.
Niger contributes to a multi-national force set up to fight Boko Haram in the region, where attacks have killed at least 20,000 people and displaced 2.7 million, according to Amnesty International and the United Nations.
Read More- The Guardian
Image courtesy of Reuters
Veterans and active-duty military get a year of Fox Nation for free. Don’t delay. Sign up today by clicking the button below!Free Fox Nation for a Year
If you enjoyed this article, please consider supporting our Veteran Editorial by becoming a SOFREP subscriber. Click here to get 3 months of full ad-free access for only $1