What do you get when you put a bunch of guys in the woods, give them limited resources and force them to cook their own food? The DIY gourmet BBQ. Also known as survivalism or bushcraft, this outdoor activity doesn’t involve sleeping bags and tents. Instead, it consists in constructing your own shelters and cooking utensils from natural materials. But if you’re looking for something entirely different from that explanation, you’ve come to the right place! Simply put, a DIY gourmet BBQ is any outdoor activity that centers on grilling food and drinking adult beverages. Read on to learn more about this exciting pastime…
Why Is It Called a DIY Gourmet BBQ?
A gourmet BBQ is any outdoor activity that involves grilling food and drinking adult beverages. Hosting a gourmet BBQ is many ways, but the most common is a “DIY” BBQ. That’s where you and your friends bring your own food, drinks, and grills (if you want). It’s a great way to save money, meet new friends and be adventurous. You can DIY a BBQ at home, at the park, or even on the beach. DIY stands for do it yourself. People who engage in DIY often do so because it is a cheaper option and gives them a sense of accomplishment. Some people throw DIY events as a way to meet new people and have fun. For example, a BBQ is an ideal DIY event because it is inexpensive and a great way to spend time outdoors.
Decide on a date and location – The first step to hosting a DIY gourmet BBQ is deciding on a date and location. While it may seem like a no-brainer, you’ll want to choose a date that’s convenient for all of your guests. In addition to the date, you’ll also want to select a location. While you can host a DIY BBQ at home, many people prefer to host it in public areas with more space. Ask your guests what they prefer and start with that.
- Create a guest list – Once you know the date and location for your DIY gourmet BBQ, you can create a guest list. You’ll want to include family and friends that you think will enjoy this type of event. You can also reach out to communities like Meetup.com to find people who enjoy outdoor activities.
- Select a menu – While your guests will likely bring a variety of snacks and drinks, you’ll want to select one or two main dishes for your DIY gourmet BBQ. You can use this guide to help you decide which dishes to select for your event.
Finding the Right Location for Your DIY BBQ
If you plan to host a DIY gourmet BBQ in a public area, you’ll want to check any rules and regulations that apply to that space. For example, some areas have strict rules about the types of grills that can be used and when they must be put away. Once you’ve checked the rules, you’ll want to pick the right location for your DIY BBQ. Some areas are better than others for a DIY gourmet BBQ:
What You’ll Need for Your DIY BBQ
- Grills and tools – If you want to host a DIY gourmet BBQ in an area that doesn’t allow grills, you’ll want to select a different type of food. However, most areas will allow you to bring your own grills. You can choose from different types of grills, but you’ll want to make sure that they’re clean and in good condition before using them. You may also want to bring tools like tongs and spatulas to aid in food preparation.
- Fuel – If you’re using a gas grill, you’ll need to bring fuel for it. You should also bring extra fuel in case you run out or if someone else brings a grill that uses a different type of fuel. You’ll also want to make sure that you have plenty of lighter fluid if you’re using a gas grill and a long-handled sparker if you’re using a charcoal grill.
- Food and drinks – You’ll want to select one or two main dishes for your DIY gourmet BBQ. While you can ask your guests to bring their own food and drinks, you should at least select one dish to bring. You’ll also want to have plenty of water and non-alcoholic beverages available for people who don’t drink alcohol.
Before you host your DIY gourmet BBQ, you’ll want to build a fire ring. A fire ring is a circular barrier that is built to contain a fire.
You’ll want to build a fire ring for two reasons: safety and convenience. While fires are fun, they can be dangerous if they aren’t contained. Fire rings provide a safe place for fires to burn so that they won’t spread and cause damage.
You can build a fire ring using rocks or bricks. You’ll want to make sure that the rocks or bricks fit together without leaving any gaps. This will help contain the fire and stop it from spreading. You can also purchase fire rings from many home and garden stores.
Fire rings are typically made of metal and are often round. They can be placed in an open area, such as a grassy field, and they can be used over and over again.
You can find almost any type of food at your local grocery store or farmers’ market. However, if you want to get creative with your people and their palates, you can grow your own food. If you don’t have the space to grow your own food, you can also find places where you can pick your own produce, like a pumpkin patch or strawberry farm.
There are many ways you can prepare food for a DIY gourmet BBQ. You can grill, bake, or smoke food. Alternatively, you can prepare food using different forms of cooking, like poaching, steaming, or boiling.
You can even make your own food like jams or preserves. Whichever way you go, you’ll want to make sure that your food is clean and safe before it is eaten.
How to Store and Transport Food Before the Day of Your BBQ
If you’re picking your own food for your DIY gourmet BBQ, you’ll need to store it properly to keep it fresh. Some foods, like apples and pears, keep best when they’re stored in a cool and dark place like a basement or garage. Other foods are more sensitive to light and should be kept in a darker place.
You can also purchase food that comes in plastic containers that allow air to flow through them. These containers are often used to transport food from the store to your home. Finally, foods like tropical fruits, like mangos and avocados, ripen best when they’re kept out on a countertop or in a fruit bowl. These places are dark, but they also get good airflow, which helps the fruits ripen quickly.
A DIY gourmet BBQ is a great way to get people together, have fun and be adventurous. Ready to host your own gourmet BBQ weekend?