- The federal government shut down at midnight on Saturday because Congress could not reach a funding deal.
- The shutdown will have a large impact on the military.
- Active duty personnel will remain on the job, but will not recieve pay until the shutdown ends.
- In the event that a servicemember is killed in action during the shutdown, the family would not recieve their $100,000 bereavement benefit.
- Retiree benefits, Veterans Affairs disability benefits, and Survivor’s Benefit Plan funds would all still be paid.
The effects of the shutdown will be wide-ranging, with as many as 850,000 of approximately 2.1 million federal employees being placed on furlough, which means they’re placed on a leave of absence and receive no pay.
Read the whole story from Business Insider.