- The federal government shut down at midnight on Saturday because Congress could not reach a funding deal.
- The shutdown will have a large impact on the military.
- Active duty personnel will remain on the job, but will not recieve pay until the shutdown ends.
- In the event that a servicemember is killed in action during the shutdown, the family would not recieve their $100,000 bereavement benefit.
- Retiree benefits, Veterans Affairs disability benefits, and Survivor’s Benefit Plan funds would all still be paid.
The effects of the shutdown will be wide-ranging, with as many as 850,000 of approximately 2.1 million federal employees being placed on furlough, which means they’re placed on a leave of absence and receive no pay.
Read the whole story from Business Insider.
Featured image courtesy of YouTube
If you enjoyed this article, please consider supporting our Veteran Editorial by becoming a SOFREP subscriber. Click here to get 3 months of full ad-free access for only $1