After World War II ended in 1945, the world was worried about the possibility of the Soviet Union attacking with their nuclear missiles. The rest of the nations, including the United States, rushed to develop their own nuclear weapons during an era known as Cold War. Nuclear facilities were erected all over the country, with over 2.4 million acres of federal land allotted to nuclear weapons-related purposes and activities, overseen by the Department of Energy. These weapons were transported from its plant to other places through locomotives called White Trains.

White, Unlabeled Trains

The geopolitical tension started after Nazi Germany surrendered in May 1945. The United States and the Soviet Union had a “face-off” due to the US and British’s fear of permanent Soviet domination of Eastern Europe when their alliance started to fall apart. There was also a threat of nuclear attacks when the Soviet Union performed a test of their atomic bomb on August 29, 1949, codenamed as “First Lighting.” As a result of the two superpowers’ mistrust of each other, they spent the next few decades developing their own nuclear arsenals.

A “white train” at the Amarillo Railroad Museum
A “white train” at the Amarillo Railroad Museum. (Photo Credit: Don Barrett/Flickr Creative Commons/CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)

Today, the United States relies almost entirely on million-dollar Lockheed Martin tractor-trailers, known as Safeguard Transporters (SGTs) and Safe Secure Trailers (SSTs), to move nuclear material. But from the 1950s through the 1980s, safe transit was dependent on the so-called “white trains.” These were basically heavily-armored boxcars placed in between these “turret cars” protruding above in case of an attack. How it worked was that the Department of Energy (DOE) guards peer out through the skit windows of the turrets, ready to shoot in case they had to defend the train. These “safe, secure railcars” or SSRs ensured Congress in 1979 that they were highly resistant to attack, unauthorized entry, as well as in the event of a fire or serious accident.

As mentioned, these transport vehicles looked anything but sophisticated. They were slow at 35 miles per hour max. The seven-member crew boarded usually took the nuclear bombs from Texas to Bangor, where they delivered them at a submarine base on the banks of the Puget Sound or from Texas to Charleston, with a set of submarines also waiting for them.